Monday, September 14, 2009

Cupcakes Challenge, Wills Birthday

Wills Birthday Cupcakes / 09-09-09 • 8" x 10" • oil on board

I always say I am my nephews square root. My birthday is 3-3 and his is 9-9. I decided to paint 3 cupcakes for him on his birthday; little did I know, it would take me 6 days. I started the painting on a very smooth surface with a layer of purple and blue outlines and shadows. Next I started working in the colors; I only used red, yellow, blue and white on this painting. The frosting is painted extremely thick using layers with a lot of shadow build up on the board. I saved the confetti for last and had a hard time applying the yellow and green without the white frosting and background mixing into my fun, bright colors. Of course, I dotted the i in Lori with a confetti candy. On the chocolate cupcake in the top right I left the white board showing along the paper wrapper so the viewer could see the original surface and the build up of paint elsewhere. What a challenge! I couldn't stop painting this and to make it nine I may have to paint it two more times. Happy Birthday Will! I love you.

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully done! You mastered the frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Love the way you staggered them and the vivid colors around the shadows are such a creative, whimsical touch. I know your nephew will love this gift for years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great painting for your nephew. I'm sure he will think they are good enough to eat! Thanks for stopping by my blog. What a treat to poke around yours!

    ReplyDelete