Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Union Square Macy's San Francisco

Union Square Macy's • oil on canvas • 20" x 24"

I love the way this rooftop view of Macy's Union Square came out. I used the influence of Richard Diebenkorn to create it and it will influence the way I see things forever. It was quite a layering process although it looks quite simple. I started it much more realistic, painted over many of the details, then came back with glazes and lines.

The biggest challenge of this painting was finding time to get to my studio and when I got there not talking to the other artists in the building. I brought it home to finish it because believe it or not the swine flu has hit my children.

It was great to finish it in a new environment and when I hung it to dry I realized it had found the perfect place to hang.

I am posting a sequence of the creation of this painting at lorimargulies.blogspot.com if you'd like to see its' progression.

No comments:

Post a Comment