Friday, August 14, 2009

Santa Cruz Fire and Fiery Sunset




Sunset Through Grass • 8" x 8" • oil on board

I woke up yesterday to hear Santa Cruz was on fire and being evacuated. Many of our California sunsets are a rainbow with a vivid orange. I painted the oil above after an ocean hike.

My daughter and I packed up our dog and headed to Rio Del Mar beach where I took the following photos of the clouds reflecting the fire.




Many homes burned and families and animals were evacuated, but the beach was happy, gorgeous and full of life. The birds were going crazy feeding around 5 pm. The smell of fire was in the air. There were helicopters carrying big buckets of water to the fire. On our way back home we passed at least 20 fire trucks making their way over the hill to the fire. Very scary. Then something wonderful happened; my cousins had a healthy baby girl. Her grandma in Santa Cruz had some exciting news to balance out the stress of the fire. Coincidentally the baby was born a few minutes after her grandpas August 13 birthday.




2 comments:

  1. Wooww..So beautiful sunset! The painting is done so neatly and smooth!:)
    -Megha
    Color Pencil Drawing: Lord Krishna with his mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, I love your new painting of the sunset. You have done a great job capturing the feeling without it been too bright. Way to go. Silvia

    ReplyDelete